SUMMARY: The Staff Accountant assists the Controller in performing accounting procedures for the organization. They perform a variety of tasks, including maintaining the general ledger, reconciling general ledger accounts, assisting with the budget process, assisting with preparation of financial statements, and general cost accounting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Daily invoicing processing and credit memo entry. Daily Register Updates.
- Research unresolved deductions and other issues with customer accounts, using knowledge of accounting system, basic Accounting General Ledger Account knowledge and customer payment trends to evaluate and make conclusions.
- Look for ways to continuously improve efficiency of transaction handling.
- Responsible for commission calculation and payment process to brokers
- Assist with end of the month ERP processing, closing and preparation of financial statements. Includes making GL journal entries.
- Support and back up Accounting Department
- Prompt and professional responses to internal and external customer inquiries.
- Freight liaison for accounting department, including, but not limited to:
- File freight claims for lost shipments
- Processing vendor freight invoices
- Follow up with freight companies on disputed charges, ensuring agreed upon rates and terms are followed.
- Assists in the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Complies with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and various tax filings.
- Assists with monitoring accurate item costs and quantities in ERP system.
- Assists with internal control procedures and audits to assure compliance.
- All other duties that may be assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associates Degree, Bachelors Degree preferred
- 3 -5 years experience in accounting/finance or a combination of education & experience
- Proven track record of driving efficiency and profitability
- Excellent MS Office (Strong Excel, MSQuery, Access, PowerPoint) capabilities required
- Strong written communication and presentation skills required
- General understanding of accounting principles
WORK/LIFE BALANCE: Summit Brands offers an exceptional work environment with work/life balance, an outstanding benefits package and opportunities for career development comparable to some of the industry’s finest. Our culture is unique with a blend of determined focus, wellness, fitness and family.